We are looking for a Treasurer to join the board of founding trustees, who will help us guide Smart Works Leeds through the first exciting few months and years as a new start-up charity. We want someone who is passionate about Smart Works, what we do and wants to help support
women in their local community in a way that is tangible, focused and successful.
As a qualified accountant, you will bring your experience, your contacts and your energy to Smart Works Leeds. The role will be varied, flexible and hands-on. We are looking for someone who can work at board level, but also someone who can handle all the financial processing for Smart Works Leeds. It will be hard work and demanding, but it will also be great fun, and a great opportunity to nurture a new charity at the start of its development.
The office will be based in the city centre and we hold monthly Board meetings which all Trustees attend. There will also be some work with our umbrella charity, Smart Works, based in London, and the opportunity to contribute and take part in national events, conferences and strategy sessions.
Purpose of the role:
• Oversee the financial affairs of Smart Works Leeds and ensure they are legal, constitutional
and within accepted accounting practice
• Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
• Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation
• Oversee the production of necessary financial reports, returns, accounts and audits
• Leeds is a subsidiary of Smart Works Charity, as such will be subject to oversight and
governance from SWHQ
• The role is a combined Treasury and Finance role given the nature of the centre
• Ensure the Board fulfils all its financial responsibilities
• Oversee and present budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial
statements to the Board of Trustees, on a monthly/quarterly basis, so as to maintain a clear
picture of the financial health of the organisation
• Leading the Board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial
sources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with good
governance, legal and regulatory requirements
• Provide financial liaison with Smart Works HQ Treasurer and Head of Finance providing
quarterly financial reports, budget and annual financial accounts. Attend twice yearly
conference run for Smart Works regional centres.
• Oversee the implementation of and monitoring of the specific financial controls and
adherence to systems, including management of the payroll
• Ensure compliance with HMRC where needed
• Advise on the financial implications of Smart Works Leeds strategic plan
• Ensure financial reports are comprehensible and are provided in the proper format and at
the proper time, as required by other bodies in law
• Liaise with Head Office finance function in relation to group audit and with independent
examiners for local entity accounts
• Ensure the Board develops a long-term financial strategy for Smart Works Leeds with goals
and objectives which can be monitored
• Oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process
• Contribute to the financial and fundraising strategy of the organisation as appropriate
• General bookkeeping and financial recording
• Qualified accountant
• Financial management experience and business-planning skills
• Strong experience of double entry book keeping
• Some experience of charity finance and fundraising
• Hands on attitude with time to spare for this vital role in a start-up charity
• Some experience of Xero accounts software, but not essential
Full information about our charity can be found on our website www.smartworks.org.uk/leeds
About the organisation:
Smart Works Leeds is a start-up charity and will launch in Leeds in the Autumn 2019.
We are a UK charity that provides high quality interview clothes and interview training to
unemployed women in need. We harness the power of clothes and confidence to allow a woman to be her best at a crucial moment in her life, giving her the confidence, the self-belief and the practical tools required to succeed at interview and transform her life.
At the core of our service is a dressing and interview appointment where each woman receives a high-quality interview outfit (theirs to keep) tailored to their taste and style by our Smart Works’ stylists. This is followed by dedicated one-to-one interview training with an experienced
recruitment, HR or coaching professional.
This short intervention has a significant impact as our clients start believing in their own ability to succeed.
Smart Works Leeds will be the eighth centre for the charity, joining North London, West London, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham and Reading. The organisational structure of Smart Works essentially consists of one umbrella charity (Smart Works Charity) and a number of local charities (Smart Works Leeds). Each local charity is set up as a separate company limited by guarantee and registered as a charity, with its own charity number and board of trustees.
The search for the next Smart Works centre was launched in Autumn 2018, followed by a successful awareness event in January 2019, which brought together over 100 charity partners, retailers, executive coaches, local businesses and individuals from across Leeds, all united by their dedication to empowering women. Since then a group of founding trustees have worked closely with the team at Smart Work HQ to build a Business Plan to enable them to successfully launch the service in Autumn 2019.
For more information and details of how to apply, please email Laura Dalby on